Vogue Knitting Pattern Cabled Cape

Vogue Cabled Cape Miss Pippilotta

Introducing the Vogue Knitting Pattern Cabled cape or as I like to call it; my little red riding cape.

This knit and pattern from Vogue Knitting were both created a few years ago. With the in-between weather we are having here in Melbourne – not quite summer and not quite spring and at times down right wintry – I have pulled out my cape again. It’s perfect for the changeable weather.

Vogue Cabled Cape Miss Pippilotta

During a recent catch-up with my crafty friends, one of them comment how much they dislike cables. “But cables are great and fun to knit, why the dislike of cables?” I exclaimed. It was the memory of those rather daggy cable knit jumpers from the 80s that had put them off cables for good.

But cables don’t have to be daggy, (as for all knitting in my opinion). Cables are a useful design element in creating garments that need shaping and a bit of a “spring back” to them. They work well with this cape, which could have been a bit boring looking without them. As for the knitting of cables, they are often feared by knitters because they look complicated. Let me let you in on a secret; they are not near as tricky as they look, and once you get the idea they are really fun to create.

I particularly like the back of this cape

Vogue Cabled Cape Miss Pippilotta

The cape is not large and ends at about the elbows. Three buttons secure the front, that is the only time I ran into trouble knitting this cape. I needed help from my Nanna to place the buttons in the right place.

Vogue Cabled Cape Miss Pippilotta

I sourced the yarn from Bendigo Woollen Mills – 12ply in Cherry Red – it gave me perfect tension. The pattern from Vogue Knitting you can buy on-line, if you are feeling inclined to give a cable cape a go too. The only issue I had with the pattern was that the instructions were a bit scant towards the end, so I needed to make it up as best I could, but I think it worked out as the pattern directed.

Give cables a try! Knit a cape and imagine you are red riding hood too!

13 Comment

1. Deb Baker says:

This is so adorable Leah! I haven’t tried cable for so long because yes it did seem to go out of fashion and seemed a bit daggy. But I love this! And that colour! xx
    Deb Baker recently posted…Craft Tutorial : Make your own stampsMy Profile

1. misspippilotta says:

Excellent! Cables don’t have to daggy do they.

2. That cape is so adorable! i can picture you flying along a country road on your bike, a basket full of flowers and your little red riding cape flying out behind you. As ever, I am in awe of your skills Miss Pippilotta. 🙂
    rachelfaithcox recently posted…We Met On the InternetMy Profile

1. misspippilotta says:

Oh that made me giggle and smile Rachel. Will see if I can get a pic of me riding with my cape on for you one day!

3. Lila says:

I’m wishing I could knit like that! Cabling has always scared me though.
    Lila recently posted…A to Z of Happy and Healthy – C is for Clean outMy Profile

1. misspippilotta says:

I thought cables look scary too, then I gave them a go. Once you get the hang of it Lila you will be fine.

4. tash says:

she. is. stunning.

well done clever lady!

x
    tash recently posted…Thankful Thursday :: Being able to stop and admire the roses.My Profile

1. misspippilotta says:

Oh gosh, thanks Tash!

5. Ann-Maree says:

I love cables! My favourite socks at the moment are cabled. Being vegan though, I’m a bit lost as to how to find non-wool yarns and, if I do find them, how to choose the right one to replace a woolen yarn in a pattern. Got any advice Miss Pippilotta?

1. misspippilotta says:

Sure have Ann-Maree. You can choose man-made fibers or go with cotton, linen or some other plant 😉

6. You have inspired me to get out my knitting needles! I’ve been wanting to have a go at a cardi recently. Time to find that pattern and get thee some yarn!

1. misspippilotta says:

Hooray! What colour are you going for Pips?

7. […] The red Riding Cape  […]